To stay in the loop with the latest features, news and interviews from the creative community around licensing, sign up to our weekly newsletter here
ViacomCBS has detailed the upcoming slate of new shows and movies for Paramount+, a new streaming platform launching in the US on March 4th.
The slate includes over 50 exclusive original series set to premiere on the service in the next two years, including new shows based on The Italian Job, Grease and Flashdance – as well as a Rugrats reboot.
“In today’s entertainment landscape, ViacomCBS stands apart as the only media company to fully embrace every segment of the streaming universe across free, premium and pay,” said Bob Bakish, President and Chief Executive Officer, ViacomCBS.
“The launch of Paramount+ supercharges our strategy with a broad pay service that will be home to everything consumers love, all in one place: live sports, breaking news and a mountain of entertainment, at scale. As we look ahead, ViacomCBS is ideally positioned to harness the full power of our assets and capabilities – from our world-class production studios and the value of our massive content library, to our global marketing platform and local relationships – to seize the global opportunity in streaming.”
Some of the new shows on the way based on existing brands include:
• The Italian Job – A sequel show focusing on the grandchildren of Michael Caine’s Charlie Croker as they inherit his old safety deposit box and begin a search to find the infamous Italian bullion.
• Grease: The Rise of the Pink Ladies – Featuring both classic and new songs, this series is a prequel to Grease telling the story of how Frenchy’s older sister founded the Pink Ladies.
• Flashdance – A drama series helmed by Mad Men writer Tracy McMillan that picks up from where the 1983 film left off, but in present-day.
• The Parallax View – A scripted series based on the 1974 film. The series will be executive produced by Paula Wagner.
• Halo – A sci-fi drama series based on the Xbox franchise.
• Love Story – A new series based on the 1970 film, helmed by Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, the executive producers of Gossip Girl, The O.C. and Looking for Alaska.
• The Man Who Fell To Earth – Based on the Walter Tevis novel and film starring David Bowie, the series will follow a new alien character who arrives on Earth and is set to star Chiwetel Ejiofor.
• Star Trek: Strange New Worlds – The next instalment of the Star Trek franchise is based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise.
• Star Trek: Prodigy – The first-ever Star Trek show for the kids and family audience.
• Dora the Explorer – A new live-action series based on the iconic character, designed for an older audience of kids aged 6 to 11.
• Kamp Koral: SpongeBob’s Under Years – A SpongeBob SquarePants spin-off that takes viewers back to when the characters of Bikini Bottom met for the very first time in summer camp.
• Rugrats – A new CG revamp of the Nineties cartoon.
• The Fairly OddParents – A live-action take on the popular Nick cartoon.
Enter your details to receive Brands Untapped updates & news.